Here is something I had heard of but never saw before. This case of .45 ammo from the war era. Best part, it has never been opened.

Whenever I see something like this, I instantly want to have it. But later as I think about it and wonder, ” what would be the point?” I already have a ton of militaria and collectible crap taking up so much space. Would I open it? That would ruin it. Shooting the ammo up would seem like a crime to me. But why hold on to ammo I would never use? I’m not a museum contrary to the opinions of my friends and family. Yes, it is very cool. But other than to resell to some other collector, what value would it have for me if I’m not going to open it and shoot the ammo. These are the thoughts of a man who has too much junk.

1. ptmn says:

I remember when those things were sold as cheap surplus. I bought 2 of those 600rd spam cans almost 30 years ago. The markings on both of my cans was EC. Even though it was USGI WWII ammo, they were sold cheap (back then) because it is corrosive primed and people didn’t want to clean their guns after shooting.

I shot one can. All the ammo worked, but it wasn’t that accurate. I ended up shooting the 600 round can in only two shooting sessions because I was lazy and only wanted to do my corrosive ammo cleaning routine twice. I don’t just scrub the bbl and breach face with hot soapy water, on my 1911’s I disassemble and scrub the entire weapon after shooting corrosive ammo.

I still have that second sealed can stashed away somewhere in my storage. One of these days I’ll dig it out and shoot the whole can in only one session, since I’m now older and even more lazy.

One last issue with the can I shot, all the cases were steel, so I didn’t save any for reloading. A handful of the cases split after firing, maybe that’s why I had a few bad flyers (or it could have been me, but it’s easier to blame the ammo). I don’t know if the remaining can has steel cases or not. I guess I won’t know until I open the spam can

I had no idea it was steel cased. Takes some pictures of it when you dig it out

2. ptmn says:

I have to pull something from storage next week. I’ll see if I can find the can in that mess and take a pic. I don’t know if the 2nd can is the same as the 1st can, since I didn’t save it after I tore it open to shoot so long ago.

If you do buy it, if you head to the range bring some tools just in case. I remember the little spam can strap broke while I was twisting the key to open it. I took some pliers and tried to pinch the end of the broken tab to peel the rest open, finally got frustrated and dug up a set of tin snips to cut the can. Maybe you will have better luck than me, but bring tools just in case or open it at home before heading to the range like I did.

I didnt buy it, I took those pictures and wrote that article and prescheduled it 2 weeks ago.. that case has already been sold by now I;m sure

3. BAP45 says:

I’ve been in similar quandaries. think its awesome to still be unopened but I would rather spend money on stuff i can actually play with.

yeah thats the conclusion I always come to. Sometimes I need a day or two to ponder it but always come to the conclusion to buy stuff I will actually use. Now a days anyway. When I was younger I bought a lot of stuff I will never use and exists in my hoard just because its cool or rare. Im sure its the same for you

4. ptmn says:

Was looking at an email I just got from Royal Tiger Imports and they just got some of that ammo in. They are selling for $599 per case. Each case is the original wood box with two 600rd spam cans, so it basically comes out to 50 cents a round.

That’s expensive for steel cased USGI corrosive 45 ammo, so it would be more for collectors than shooters. Hard to believe that same case was just under $200 way back when I bought mine. Even though ammo was a lot cheaper back then, it still wasn’t a great deal considering the non reloadable steel cases and it required corrosive ammo cleaning procedures.