FN America’s webpage is now live as of January 18th:

Note that the barrel now locks up on the slide’s ejection port. There is an ambidextrous slide stop, and a separate takedown lever. The magazine release is reversible. The front and rear straps are checkered. The sight dovetails are the same as the FN509. FN has reverted to an internal extractor, and the magazine disconnect safety pin is missing from the trigger. FN claims that it will have a 4.5 lbs trigger pull.

The slide and barrel almost appear to be shorter, but FN reports that it is a 4.7″ barrel. This discrepancy must be a visual effect from the grip being lengthened for a 17-round magazine. Folks are going to freak out about the new pistol gaining a half pound in weight over the legacy model.

1. Paulden Prnce says:

Wow, yet another unnecessary P-35 variant which exists for no other reason than to be yet another variant. And I assume it’ll have its own special double column proprietary magazine which will not fit in any other pistol and parts that won’t interchange with any other Hi-Power? Gawd I hope they make a model in .30 Super Carry which holds 57 rounds of ammo and is covered in ATACS FG camouflaged Picatinny rails.

I remain baffled.

It’s the worst of the Hi Power (metal frame, single action) with the worst of a proprietary design (limited parts availability, magazine incompatibility).

What are Springfield and FN seeing in the modern pistol market that I’m not?

I wish them both the very best. Wait, that’s not true, I wish Springfield bankruptcy and everlasting ignominy for betraying Illinois gun owners.

you think a metal frame and single action trigger are bad? now Im baffled

I will leave my spergy rant to your imagination.

things are looking better every day

1. Paulden Prince says:

Huh. You mean there is a polymer framed double-action pistol extant superior to all the metal framed single actions produced since 1911? I didn’t realize the Klingon Empire was exporting disrupter pistols to Earth what with the weak dollar……

3. BAP45 says:

is there a benefit to changing the lock up method?

Cheaper/easier manufacturing is why newer designs have locked up on the barrel hood.

2. Paulden Prince says:

Yes. The benefit is the change itself. Sarcasm aside having worked in a couple of gun shops there is a sub-species of the gun culture that is attracted to design changes irrespective of the actual benefit(s) of said modifications. From my observations these folks are generally nerdy and geekish of nature. Of course the dominant propaganda organs of the gun media will love this pistol which means precisely nothing because they like every pistol which has the possibility of generating advertising revenue. I have nothing against FN-over the decades I’ve owned/used such weapons as FN-49’s, FAL’s, FS2000’s, M-249’s, pre-war P-35’s and 5.7X28, but this handgun strikes me as a waste of effort. How many CAL’s, HP-DA, and FS2000’s can they afford to squander their efforts on?