My middle age has started to catch up on me the last couple of years. Very Bad arthritis has always run on my Dad’s side of the family and the last 3 years it has really began to bother me. First it started in my left shoulder several years ago. The last 3 years has really gotten it going. Over the last year, my right hand has been having trouble. The trigger finger and the pinky being the worst. Much pain, stiffness and knots.

This has really started to mentally bother me and with ammo being what it is now in current reality, I don’t shoot my handguns as much as I am used to. Today I got the nerve up to go see how much ability I may have lost. Without a warm up at all, I went out cold and shot a bit to see where I’m standing.

The head group was shot at 15 yards in a semi slow manner. The torso group was shot from 25 yards very rapid. Gun is the Colt rail gun and ammo was Winchester military ball.

It was painful controlling the gun in the rapid fire string. I see problems ahead. Getting older is no way to treat an animal.

1. Wild, wild west says:

Last Monday, I learned that my doctor could use the words “hip replacement” in a sentence. Eff me.

1. ptmn says:

That’s still some awesome shooting. You fought through the pain and you were still able to keep your focus to rapid fire 14 nice center mass hits, 10 of which are “spine shots”. Thats better shooting than a lot of millennials at 100% health could do. Maybe they should lay off the Nintendo and spend more time at the range under your tutelage.

I

Shawn,

I’m not trying to teach you to suck eggs, but if you are open to suggestions, have you thought about switching to lefty? You might find recreational trips to the range to be more fun if you spent more time lefty, even if you don’t move your holster over.

You might also consider a smaller caliber. A small-caliber gun you enjoy shooting might beat a bigger one that’s a literal pain. I personally think .22 LR is underrated as a self-defense cartridge, and holding those kinds of groups, I think you could put it to good use.

I hurt myself in 2018 and nerve damage and a pinched nerve makes shooting left handed a non-starter.

and the day I cant use a 45 or 10mm anymore is the day I put the thing in my own mouth

Please don’t kill yourself, Shawn. We love you. As someone with an adult-onset handicap, I can tell you that there is more to life than being physically abled. God has given us these failing bodies as a testimony to the wages of our sin. If we bow the knee to King Jesus, we can live and die for Him.

3. LSWCHP says:

Getting old is for tough guys.

I was an infantryman for ten years, and even though I was a peacetime soldier I now carry the burden of fucked knees and lower back due to humping heavy packs, running in boots etc.

It’s fucking hard, but it beats the alternative.

Hang in there man. I shot a match today with a bunch of guys including my mate Mike. He’s an ex Colonel of Engineers, a Vietnam veteran aged 84. He’s old and stiff and a little slow, but he reckons as long as he has the strength to press the trigger he’ll be on the range. You’re way ahead of him.

4. Jeff says:

Try a 1911 in 9mm with a soft recoil spring.