To absolutely no one’s surprise….

WASHINGTON – The U.S. Army announced the award of a 10-year firm-fixed-price follow-on production contract to Sig Sauer, Inc for the manufacture and delivery of two Next Generation Squad Weapon variations (the XM5 Rifle and the XM250 Automatic Rifle) and the 6.8 Common Cartridge Family of Ammunition.

This award was made following a rigorous 27-month prototyping and evaluation effort that included numerous technical tests and Soldier touch points of three competing prototype systems.

The value of the initial delivery order on the contract is $20.4 million for weapons and ammunition that will undergo testing. The contract includes accessories, spares and contractor support. It also provides the other Department of Defense services and, potentially, Foreign Military Sales countries the opportunity to purchase the NGSW weapons.

The XM5 Rifle will replace the M4/M4A1 carbine within the close combat force, and the XM250 Automatic Rifle is the planned replacement for the M249 Squad Automatic Weapon

Both weapons provide significant capability improvements in accuracy, range and overall lethality. They are lightweight, fire more lethal ammunition, mitigate recoil, provide improved barrel performance, and include integrated muzzle sound and flash reduction.

1. BAP45 says:

Not surprised at the choice but i dont get it. Basically all of these “improvements” and not gun related. New round; well you could chamber it in an AR platform. Extended barrel life; ok you can just put the new barrels on. Sound and flash reduction; gee no one has ever put a silencer on an AR before.
    Im not anti innovation or progress but this is neither of those.

payoff innovations

2. This seems like a terrible replacement for the M4A1. The rounds appear to weigh as much as 7.62, and that appears to be a 20 round magazine. Is this just the M14 debacle all over again?

3. The only feature this stilly thing is missing is the American walnut stock that has been soaked in boiled linseed oil.

The 80K PSI chamber pressure means that the rifle will probably severely damage the shooter’s hearing if they’re not using hearing protection, and the effectiveness of the silencer will be drastically reduced unless they increase the volume of the silencer.

where you been so long?

1. Busy with all manner of other stuff. Buddy, you would not believe how many cars I’ve had to repair in the last three/four months, and these last five weeks, the boiler that heats the house has been giving us fits.

It’s infuriating, and consumes a good deal of my time. I really don’t like throwing money at other people to fix stuff I can fix correctly myself when I already have all the tools…

eg, plumber asks “Hey, you know, we could come fix X for you…”

me: “Yea, you could, but I know it is going to take you three+ hours, and I already know how to sweat and solder pipe joints, do the electrical wiring and other crap that needs done on the boiler… so can you just sell me the parts?”

Its good to see you back, I was starting to worry a bit about your health

1. To quote Monty Python’s “Holy Grail:”

“I’m not dead yet!”

But in the last two years, I’ve noticed my BP is creeping up. Not being able to go to the gym when I wanted had me fall off my lifting schedule – there are a couple of machines that my fire department doesn’t have in their weight/fitness setup that I really need to keep my back in shape.

I’ve gotten to a point where I’ve resolved that when I get my plate clear, I need to start writing the gunsmithing book I’ve been threatening to do…

Take my money!

I’m no expert on this stuff, but Internet scuttlebutt says that throats aren’t going to last long at those pressures/caliber. Never mind the dirty M4s causing problems at Wanat, imagine running your barrel to death in a heavy firefight.

It’ll keep the barrel maker in the gravy, though, and I guess that’s what’s important here.

1. There is a potential (but expensive) solution to high pressure burning out throats in barrels. It is the same solution used in some machine gun barrels (like the M2’s): A stellite liner. Stellite is a high-Cobalt alloy that resists wear in high temperature applications.

Here’s an example of one such liner, for a M2 barrel:

The downside of stellite is that you need to use alternative production processes than “grab a chunk of metal and machine it to shape.” You can use EDM, casting, etc, but if you try to machine it with conventional (ie, carbide) tooling, you’ll have a miserable time.