Ouch!

Grazed, eh? Wow. Of course, just a bit higher/right and the patella is fragged and he’s in for significant reconstruction…

I’m no medic, but I wouldn’t bet a lot on 100% of that guy’s patella being as-issued at this point.

That crossed my mind too. I touched off a couple rounds from one of those a while back – violence on both ends. I imagine, based on how the gun would have been oriented, he probably also took a kick to the junk from the brake/cylinder gap.

I’ll bet that rustled his jimmies.

2. LSWCHP says:

Maybe I’m overly sensitive, but the way I see it, “superficial” is when catch yourself with a fish hook, or nick yourself shaving. Losing about 6 cubic inches of meat and 25% of your knee isn’t superficial. It’s not life threatening, but if that knee is fucked then it may be life changing.

And how do you do that given the weight and length of trigger pull on a double action revolver?

Best guess – it was cocked and just a light, crisp single action pull from approximating a chainsaw accident.

2. You need to understand that medical people use the term “superficial” differently than laypeople.

In medicine, “superficial” means “not penetrating,” or “surface.” In medical terminology, the skin is superficial to the muscles, the muscles are superficial to the skeletal bones, etc.

In this injury, the graze is deep, but at no point along the path did it penetrate deeper into the leg, even if it might have nicked the patella and left a horrific gash.

1. LSWCHP says:

Ah OK…that makes sense. Cheers.